The Business Design Sprint is your opportunity to test-drive everything you’ve learned in the Sandbox Series to date. Using the tools of Business Design, your team will have one week (Nov 13-23) to solve a live challenge.
The challenge is real. The time is tight. The learning has impact.
How does the Sprint work?
1. Assemble a team of 4 and submit a video application by Thu, Nov 5, 9am. Your video can only be 60 seconds long, so make it snappy.
2. Be 1 of 5 eligible teams to be selected (fingers crossed).
3. Meet the Sponsor and start working on the challenge at the Sprint Kick-Off session.
4. Work the challenge over 3 intense days of need finding, prototyping, and co-creation. Rotman DesignWorks coaches will be there to lend a hand.
5. Share your results and get feedback from the Sprint Sponsors.
6. Rejoice in how much you’ve accomplished in such a short time.
What’s in it for you?
You’ll get hands-on experience solving a real problem using Business Design. This will help you increase your confidence and abilities while providing you with actual Business Design experience. The results of the Sprint can be used in job applications with potential employers and included in your work portfolio. The Sprint is also a great warm up to the Rotman Design Challenge, the Business Design Club’s case competition. Participation in the Sprint will be added to your Professional Development transcript. Open to all 2YR and 3YR students.
When is it?
It is MANDATORY that teams and all their members attend every session to fully benefit from this learning experience. Failure to do so will result in your team being dropped from the Sprint.
Fri, Nov 13, 5:00-6:30 pm
Fri, Nov 20, 5:00-8:00pm
Sat, Nov 21, 9:00am – 4:00pm
Sun, Nov 22, 10:30am – 3:30pm
Mon, Nov 23, 5:30-7:30 pm
Outside of the mandatory sessions, there are approx. 3-4 hours of work. Expect to complete the challenge in the time allotted.
How do I apply?
1. Assemble your own team of 4 current Rotman MBA students (can be any mix of full-time and morning/evening students). Each member of the team MUST have participated in at least 1 Rotman DesignWorks Sandbox Series workshop in the past 2 years prior to the Sprint Kick-Off date (Nov 13, 2015). This includes the Boot Camp and skills workshops (Critique, Empathy & Need Finding, Insights to Ideas).
2. Submit a 60-second video that:
• Tells us your team name and explains why your team deserves a spot in the Sprint
• Includes all 4 team members and helps us get to know each member better
• Includes a vocal commitment from all 4 team members that they will attend the mandatory sessions outlined above.
(See below for an application video from last year!)
3. Upload the video to youtube.com and send a link to the video to Alpesh Mistry by Thu, Nov 5, 9am.
Teams will be notified of their acceptance on Fri, Nov 6. A maximum of 5 teams will be chosen.
Need inspiration? Check out this application video from last year.
The Rotman DesignWorks Sandbox Series are hands-on Business Design workshops, led by experienced practitioners. These workshops develop your core innovation skills and provide you with valuable learning experiences. Participation contribute to your Rotman Professional Development transcript.
Rotman DesignWorks is the Business Design Studio at the Rotman School of Management. Our mission is to teach future business leaders the discipline of innovation through the practice of Business Design, a human-centred innovation methodology. Rotman DesignWorks develops new innovation methodologies and trains students and organizations.