The Business Design Sprint is your opportunity to test-drive everything you’ve learned in the Sandbox Series to date. Using the tools of Business Design, your team will solve a live challenge over the course of two weeks (Nov. 13th – Dec. 1st, 2014). The Sponsor will provide materials and food over the weekend.
The challenge is real. The time is tight. The learning is impactful.
How does the Sprint work?
1. Get together a team of 4 and submit a video application by 9:00 am, November 5th 2014. Your video can only be 60 seconds long, so make it snappy.
2. Be 1 of 5 eligible teams to be selected (fingers crossed).
3. Meet the Sponsor and start working on the challenge at the Sprint Kick-Off.
4. Solve the challenge over 3 intense days of need finding, prototyping, and strategizing. Rotman DesignWorks coaches will be there to lend a hand.
5. Share your results and get feedback from the Sprint Sponsors. Rejoice in how much you’ve accomplished in such a short time.
What’s in it for you?
You’ll get hands-on experience solving a real problem using Business Design. This will help you increase your confidence and abilities while providing you with actual Business Design experience. The results of the Sprint can be used in job applications with potential employers and included in your work portfolio. The Sprint is also a great warm up to the Rotman Design Challenge, the Business Design Club case competition. Participation in the Sprint will be added to your Professional Development transcript. Open to all 2YR and 3YR students.
When is it?
It is MANDATORY that teams and all their members attend every session to fully benefit from this learning experience. Failure to do so will result in your team being removed from the Sprint.
Nov 13th, 5:30 – 7:00 pm
Nov. 28, 5:30 – 8:30 pm
Nov. 29, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Nov. 30, 10:30 am – 3:30 pm
Dec. 1, 5:30 –7:30 pm
Outside of the mandatory sessions there are approx. 3-4 hours of work. Expect to complete the challenge in the time allotted.
How do I apply?
1. Assemble your own team of 4 current Rotman MBA students (can be any mix of 2YR and 3YR students). Each member of the team MUST have participated in at least 1 Rotman DesignWorks Sandbox Series workshop in the past 2 years before the Sprint Kick-Off date on Nov. 13th, 2014 (i.e. Bootcamp, Empathy & Need Finding Workshop, Systems Thinking Workshop).
2. Submit a 60 second video that:
• Tells us your team name and explains why your team deserves a spot in the Sprint
• Includes all 4 team members and helps us get to know each member better
• Includes a vocal commitment from all 4 team members that they will attend the mandatory sessions outlined above.
Check an application video from last year below!
3. Upload the video to youtube.com and send a link to the video to Alpesh Mistry (Alpesh.firstname.lastname@example.org) by 9:00 am, November 5h 2014.
Teams will be notified of their acceptance on November 6th, 2014. A total of 5 teams will be chosen.
See what one team did last year by watching the application video from the ‘The Verdi Group’.
The Rotman DesignWorks Sandbox Series is a collection of hands-on workshops, led by experienced practitioners, which develop your core innovation skills and provide you with valuable learning experiences. Participation will be added to your Professional Development transcript.
Rotman DesignWorks is the Business Design Studio at the Rotman School of Management. Our mission is to teach future business leaders the discipline of innovation through the practice of Business Design, a human-centred innovation methodology. Rotman DesignWorks offers educational opportunities to Rotman students in conjunction with the Business Design Club’s career preparation offerings.