There are no additional tuition fees for audit, overload, and/or extra courses provided they are completed during, or prior to, the student’s final required term of study.
MBA students may audit graduate classes provided there is space available, no wait list exists, and the consent of the instructor has been obtained. Auditing permits attendance at classes only. No work will be evaluated and no record kept on the academic transcript. Students are eligible to audit a maximum of one elective course per term.
Important: Students are not able to take for credit any courses that they have previously audited and must attend a minimum of 70% of all lectures. Note that Full-Time MBA students can audit, overload, or add extra courses starting in the summer after their first year.
Students wishing to audit a course must:
- Check to see if there are seats available in the course. Students may not audit a course that has a wait list or has reached enrollment capacity.
- Note: Not all courses are suitable for auditors. Typically, permission is granted for lecture-style classes only.
- Complete the Auditing Form (PDF) and obtain the written permission (signature) of the instructor. If the instructor is not able to sign the form, an approval email forwarded to RO@rotman.utoronto.ca is acceptable.
- Return the completed, signed Auditing Form to the Registrar’s Office for final approval.
Auditing requests may be submitted as of the first day of the Add/Drop period and at any time up to the deadline to add a course.
All requests will, however, be reviewed, in order of date received, on the final date of the Add/Drop period only for the term in question.
Note: Due to limited availability, auditing is open only to Rotman students/alumni.
Students are permitted to overload (i.e. take more than the regular course load per term) if there is space available in the course and they meet the GPA requirements. Students wishing to overload must complete the FT MBA Overload Form OR the ME MBA Overload Form and submit it to the RO prior to the Add/Drop deadline for each term. Overload requests are not permitted during the Winter or Summer Intensive Terms.
Overload requests may be submitted as of the first day of Add/Drop Phase Two and at any time up to the deadline to add a course.
All requests will, however, be reviewed, in order of date received, on the final date of the Add/Drop period only for the term in question. Requests will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Note: An overload may also be considered an extra course.
During the electives phase of the program, students are permitted to take additional courses (exceeding the number of elective courses required for their MBA degree), provided there is space available in the course and they meet the GPA requirements. There are no additional fees for extra courses provided degree requirements have not yet been met. Students who complete their degree requirements ahead of schedule will not be permitted to take extra courses.
- do not count towards the MBA degree nor are they included in the GPA calculation
- are assigned final grades just like courses taken for degree credit and designated as EXT on the transcript
- are subject to the same regulations as courses required for the degree (i.e. withdrawal deadlines, failure (FZ), etc.)
- cannot be converted to credit courses (or vice versa) towards the student’s degree after the Add/Drop period has passed for the current term. Similarly, retroactive attendance status (credit/extra) for previous terms cannot be made.
- may be transferred to other graduate degrees
Note: If students only require one elective in order to meet minimum degree requirements and wish to take a 1.0 FCE course (equivalent to two MBA electives), we are unable to separate the course weighting and students must complete the 1.0 FCE course in full. This will result in students having the equivalent to one elective over the minimum number of electives required for the MBA degree.
- Complete the Extra Course Form (PDF), and
- Submit it to the Registrar’s Office prior to the Add/Drop deadline for each term.
Students may take one extra course per term. Regular electives and Experiential Learning Opportunities courses may be listed as extra courses.
Extra course requests can be submitted at any time once Phase 2 of the Add/Drop period begins. Applications will be reviewed (in order of date received) on the final date of the Add/Drop period for the term in question.