Note: Register Without Payment is for program registration purposes only and does not change payment deadlines.
Although ACORN has the function to request to register without payment, Rotman students must apply to register without payment through the Registrar’s Office.
Students with Government Loans and/or Rotman Awards: If expected fall instalments are less than the Minimum Payment to Register Amount (MPRA), there is no need to apply for a Register Without Payment to register. Simply deduct those amounts from the MPRA to calculate what must be paid out of pocket and make this payment by September 1 in order to register.
All students must make arrangements for payment of their tuition fees each academic year. In order for students to be considered registered in their program, the required minimum amount of academic, ancillary and incidental fees as stated on the tuition fee invoice (Minimum Payment to Register Amount (MPRA)) must be paid by fees deadline of each year.
There are situations when a student may be eligible to register without paying the MPRA if the student has paid all outstanding fees from previous sessions and has confirmed sources of funds that exceed the MPRA but are not available by the fees deadline for reasons outside their control. This is referred to as a Register Without Payment.
It is important to note that a Register Without Payment does not defer or waive service charges. Students with an approved Register Without Payment should note that a monthly service charge of 1.5% compounded following the appropriate schedule provided in the Payment Schedules.
Register Without Payment Categories
To be eligible to Register Without Payment, the student must be in good financial standing; have paid any arrears; and have collateral (confirmed funds) for the current session’s fees via the categories below.
There are three eligible categories for a Register Without Payment:
- Government Loans
- Third-Party Sponsorship
- Award / Loan / Other Resources
Note: If confirmed sources from these categories make up only a portion of the MPRA, students will still need to pay the difference by the deadline in order to complete registration. For example:
- $25,000 (MPRA)
– $5,000 (Prodigy Loan / Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) / etc.)
= $20,000 (To be paid by September 1)
The student has been assessed as receiving a Fall term government loan disbursement that meets/exceeds the Minimum Payment to Register Amount (MPRA), such as:
- Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) loan
- Other Canadian government loan
- US government loan
Only if your fall government loan disbursement amount meets/exceeds the MPRA do you need to request to Register Without Payment. Rotman School students must apply for Register Without Payment through the Registrar’s Office (RO), as they are unable to apply for Register Without Payment online through ACORN.
Note that standard government loan entitlements (for Canada and provincial loans) do not meet the MPRA. Therefore, a Register Without Payment (PDF) request is normally not required; students may simply deduct their expected Fall government loan disbursement amount from their MPRA and make payment by the deadline in order to register.
Register Without Payment approval based upon government loans will also provide students with an alternate payment deadline for Winter term fees; this will be outlined in the approval email.
Third Party Sponsorship
Third party organizations, such as employers or government agencies, may consider supporting a student’s educational costs. An invoice can be sent to the sponsor showing the amount of tuition fees assessed for the year. Students must make this request via Register Without Payment. The sponsor can pay tuition fees directly to the University of Toronto upon receipt of this invoice.
To request to register by the fees deadline date with third party sponsorship:
- Request a billing authorization letter / third party sponsorship agreement from the sponsor that notes student’s name; the amount to be paid by sponsor for the current academic year; sponsor’s mailing address and contact information; and expected date of payment. This letter must be included with the Register Without Payment application.
- Print a copy of the fees invoice available online on ACORN in mid-July (mid-April for Graduate Diploma in Professional Accounting (GDipPA) students).
- Complete the Register Without Payment (PDF) and attach the authorization letter. Attach the billing/authorization letter and fees invoice. Upon request, the Registrar’s Office can provide a letter and/or invoice that students can submit to their sponsor(s). Submit to the Rotman School’s Registrar’s Office by August 15 (May 1 for GDipPA students).
- The Registrar’s Office will provide the result of the Register Without Payment application by email, along with a confirmation of the student’s payment schedule. It remains the student’s responsibility to meet fees deadline regardless of source of funding.
- If the amount of sponsorship is less than the Minimum Payment to Register Amount (MPRA), in order to confirm registration for the academic year, students will be required to make up the difference through their own sources by the fees deadlines as detailed in their confirmation email from the Registrar’s Office.
- Subsequent payments (e.g. for Winter term fees) are also required by the appropriate deadlines, either from students’ own sources or from their sponsor(s). Service charges will continue to be charged following the appropriate fee schedule. If a student’s sponsor(s) does not make payments. the student remains responsible for paying any outstanding fees that are not covered by their sponsorship.
Award / Loan / Other Resources
The student has a confirmed source of funding that is not accessible by the fees deadline for reasons outside the student’s control such as:
- Scholarship, award, or bursary amounts that exceed the Minimum Payment to Register Amount (MPRA).
Note: Rotman awards (including Ontario Graduate Scholarships) that do not meet/exceed the MPRA cannot be used for a Register Without Payment request by themselves.
- Bank loans that will not be disbursed by the MPRA deadline.
Note: Students with interest-subsidized Professional Student Loan Program (PSLP) loans that can meet/exceed the MPRA do not require Register Without Payment, provided they have submitted a Declaration of Need. Students with Prodigy Finance or MPOWER Financing loans that meet/exceed the MPRA and will be disbursed to the university after the deadline should submit a Register Without Payment request.
- Foreign government restrictions for currency transfers.
- For 2020–21 only, students whose bank loan disbursements are delayed due to Study Permit issues.
Terms and Conditions
- All outstanding fees from previous sessions must be paid in order to defer current year’s fees for registration.
- Approval of a Register Without Payment request can only be granted upon receipt of supporting documentation of the claim(s). The funds proved to be forthcoming must total at least the Minimum Payment to Register Amount (MPRA). If the claim for a Register Without Payment does not exceed the MPRA, the student must show other source(s) of funds to make up the difference.
- An approved Register Without Payment allows students to be registered in their program without making the MPRA. It does not defer or waive service charges. Students who are granted a Register Without Payment should note that a monthly service charge of 1.5% compounded following the appropriate payment schedule.
- If the Register Without Payment amount is less than the MPRA, in order to confirm registration for the academic year, students will be required to make up the difference through their own sources by the appropriate deadlines as detailed in their confirmation email from the Registrar’s Office.
- Subsequent payments (e.g. for Winter term fees) are also required by the appropriate deadlines. Service charges will continue to be charged following the appropriate payment schedule.
- Students are responsible for paying the balance of their account even if they do not receive the claimed assistance.
- Students will receive results via email. Those who do not receive approval must ensure that the MPRA is paid by the deadline. Note that students who fail to make payment will have their registration and course enrollment cancelled by the University shortly after the fees deadline.
- This process must be completed for every academic year.
- Residence payments cannot be deferred (delayed). Residence occupancy agreement lists the payment due dates.
- Students without an approved Register Without Payment and who cannot meet the fees deadline should contact the Assistant Director, Student Financial Services for an appointment prior to the fees deadline.
The Registrar’s Office (RO) facilitates the process of Register Without Payment requests and approvals. To request a Register Without Payment, follow the instructions below and submit the Register Without Payment Form (PDF) to the Registrar’s Office by August 15 (May 1 for Graduate Diploma in Professional Accounting students).
- Complete the Register Without Payment (PDF):
- Indicate category for Register Without Payment consideration.
- Indicate the amount of incoming funds and date the funds will be available.
- Attach required supporting documentation.
- If funds coming at a later date do not equal the Minimum Payment to Register Amount (MPRA), student must indicate funds they have to make up the difference.
- Access University of Toronto student account on ACORN in order to update email address to student’s Rotman email address. This ensures the student can receive email correspondence from the Student Accounts Office and the Registrar’s Office, as necessary.
- Student will be contacted by email with the outcome of their request and outline of a payment schedule.